Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sharing the Love: Meatloaf Pie

I wish I had a photo of this baby...it's so good.  I'm putting it on my menu for this week!

1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 c chopped onion
1/4 c bread crumbs
1/2 tsp sage leaves*
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 (1 lb 8 oz) pkg refrigerated mashed potatoes**
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c diced tomato, optional
2 slices precooked bacon, chopped, optional***
2 medium green onions, chopped, optional

Mix beef, onion, breadcrumbs, sage, salt, and egg until well blended. Press in bottom of 8" square ungreased baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over top. Sprinkly evenly with cheese (I added the cheese at the 30 minute mark instead).

Bake uncovered at 350 for about an hour (the recipe says 50 minutes, but my meatloaf was still a little pink then). Meat thermometer should read 160 degrees in the center of beef mixture.

Sprinkle with tomato, bacon, and onions.

*I always skip the sage
**I usually use sour cream/chive potatoes, and I'm partial to Bob Evan's brand.
***Two slices is for wusses.  Put at least four. 

ENJOY!

1 comment:

Andy said...

Bacon footnotes are the best footnotes.