Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sharing the Love: Big Boy Slim Jim


Almost as much as I love a ham dinner with mashed potatoes and ham gravy, a vegetable, and some yummy bread, I love recipes with that leftover ham.  I probably love wild rice soup the best, or scalloped potatoes and ham, or a good ham chowder.  But I won't lie, I bought a ham to make this week specifically for this recipe.  The captain and I were so excited to try it, and we were not disappointed!

My aunt Anne got the recipe from my Aunt Maria, and she shared it on her blog here.  But in the interest of keeping the recipe for posterity, and to share my variation, I'm also sharing the recipe with you here.

Slim Jim Sauce:
1 c mayo
2 T dill pickle relish
2 T pickle juice
1 T finely chopped onion

Mix together well.  (You can make this ahead of time and chill if you want.)

Hoagie Buns
Ham (I used leftover, but you could sub sandwich slices)
Cheese (I used provolone; Anne uses swiss)
Lettuce
Tomato
Slim Jim sauce

Brown ham in skillet, set aside.  Slice hoagie buns and lightly butter each side.  Grill butter-side down until lightly brown.  Liberally spread slim jim sauce on both sides of bun.  Layer ham, cheese, tomato, and lettuce.

Enjoy!

No comments: