Monday, October 24, 2011

Sharing the Love: Pumpkin Cake with Caramel Frosting


My mom used to make spice cake with caramel frosting.  I love it so much...it tastes like my childhood.  I got a craving for it today, and I had pumpkin, so this is what I made:

Pumpkin Cake
1 3/4 c sugar
4 eggs
1 c vegetable oil
1 can pumpkin
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Mix first four ingredients until well blended.  Add dry ingredients, beat on medium for two minutes.  Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 cake pan.

Bake for 45 minutes at 350.  (For cupcakes, 17-20 minutes at 350) . Allow to cool before frosting.

Caramel Frosting:
1/2 c butter
1 c packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
6 T milk
3 c sifted powdered sugar

Melt butter and add brown sugar.  Bring to a boil.  Boil for two minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat, cool slightly then whisk in milk.  Return to a boil, then remove from heat.  Let cool to lukewarm (about 15 minutes).  Stir in powdered sugar.  (If it's too think, you can add a little milk, or if it's too thin, more sugar.)  Spread on cooled cake.

Enjoy!

No comments: