I'm responding to a comment on a different blog. Believe it or not, I've been biting my tongue for the past couple weeks. But this is a point I feel very strongly is worth making: I, as an American citizen, am enjoying an enormous amount of freedoms. Here is my short list:
1. I get to worship where I choose. Whenever I choose to. So does my neighbor.
2. I can go out in my neighborhood without the fear of being injured.
3. I can send my children to school, so they can receive an education.
4. I can choose to teach my children from home, if I choose to.
5. I can have my own money.
6. I can own my own property.
7. My equal rights as a woman are protected and I can work as hard or as little as I choose.
8. I can read and write whatever I want.
9. I can have as many or as few children as I choose.
10. I can express my opinions out loud, without fear of repercussion.
Additionally, I benefit from these government (socialist) programs on a daily basis:
1. The FDIC: protects my money.
2. The FDA: makes sure that medicines are safe for my use.
3. Public Schools: my children get to go to school.
4. Public Safety: My streets are safe thanks to the police officers and firefighters that protect me.
5. Public Works: I can get from here to almost anywhere in the Twin Cities in less than half an hour, thanks to both national, state, and local public works departments.
6. Public Recreation: My children can play T-Ball and take the Red Cross Babysitting course through our local communities.
7. OSHA, etc: My husband stays safe on the job due to state and federal safety standards.
8. Department of Transporation: Safe traveling across the country, thanks to signs, traffic lights, bridges, crosswalks, etc.
9. Public Libraries: I get to check out books at my local library.
10. The Military and Dept of Homeland Security: No explanation necessary.
I challenge you to add to my list!