Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pork Schnitzel

I made these tonight, kind of by accident.  I thought I had no meat for dinner, but I found a pack of four pork chops in my freezer, so I called my mom and asked how to bake them.  (I think I've made pork chops twice.  Both times on the grill.)  She gave me this recipe out of the Betty Crocker cookbook and it was superb.  A definite make-again.

Pork Schnitzel
4 - 6 pork chops (mine were bone-in)
6 T vegetable oil
1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c bread crumbs
2 tsp seasoned salt*
2 tsp paprika
2 eggs
1/4 c milk

For Schnitzel sauce:
1 can chicken broth (divided)
2 T flour
1 c sour cream
1/2 tsp dill

Mix eggs and milk.  Pour into shallow bowl.
Mix flour, bread crumbs and seasonings in shallow bowl.

Season chops with seasoning salt.  Dip them in egg mixture, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture until completely coated.  Pour 3 T vegetable oil into frying pan.  Add pork chops (two at a time) to oil and cook over medium-high heat 4 - 5 minutes/side, or until juices run clear.  Remove from heat.

In small bowl, blend flour and 1/2 c chicken broth for thickening sauce.

When chops are cooked, pour the rest of the chicken broth into your frying pan.  Use the broth to deglaze the pan.  Slowly pour broth/flour mixture into the pan, and heat to boiling.  Turn off heat and stir in sour cream and dill.

Serve sauce over pork chops.

Enjoy!

No comments: