Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sharing the Love: Flatbread


My mom always made flatbread with soup.  I remember most:  ham chowder, navy bean with ham, and beef stew. A loaf of this bread for dunking makes those meals even more comforting (if that's possible...ah, soup.).  She probably didn't use a breadmaker when I was a kid, but that's the recipe I'm sharing with you.  Knead and rise, knead and rise?  No thanks.

Sandy's Flatbread

9 - 11 oz warm water
2 T butter
3 1/4 c flour
2/3 c oatmeal
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 T brown sugar
2 T (one pkg) yeast

Put ingredients in breadmaker according to its instructions (mine is in the order I listed them, with the yeast in a valley in the flour and the other ingredients heaped around the edges). 

Run the dough cycle.

When dough is risen, shape the into an oval on a lightly-greased baking sheet.   Puncture all over with a fork.  (No idea why...maybe that's for show?)  Rise for 30 minutes in a warm kitchen.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Slice bread in strips, butter and dunk into soup.

Notes: I'm terrible at measuring.  While it's mixing, if it seems dry, add water.  If it seems too moist, add flour.  Wow.  Helpful, huh?  Also, honey is a fine substitute for brown sugar.  This bread is best the same day.  You could freeze it that day, but it seems to dry out quickly.  If anyone has suggestions for that, I'd love to hear them!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

MindiJo said...

I think the fork holes are to get rid of air bubbles. I think.

I'm kneading and rising, kneading and rising as we speak.

ethiopifinn said...

i like your cutting board.

Anonymous said...

This was excellent, Leanne. Thank you so much. Muah!