Thursday, September 11, 2008

God Bless America!

I got the privilege of attending a Rememberance Ceremony at the fire station today. As expected , the chief did a great job. It's a day to honor the fallen and remember their sacrifice. More than that, even, it's a day to remember to celebrate our freedom and thank the men and women who work hard every day to protect that. As the chief said, it's important for us to remember this day every day by living a life of service. The most touching moment for me was when they rang the 5 - 5 - 5 on the fire bell. In the past, before radio communciation, that was the tone for a fallen firefighter. Five rings, a pause, five rings, a pause, and then five rings. Thank you to those 343 firefighters who gave their lives seven years ago, and to their families who gave them. Thank you to all the people who sacrificed their lives, both in emergency service and otherwise. I am grateful every day to live in this amazing country and try not to take for granted that this freedom isn't free. To those of you who continue to serve...with all my heart...thank you. God bless America!

PS Thank you to John McCain and Barack Obama for putting your differences aside today. I appreciated the unity.

2 comments:

MindiJo said...

Very nice, Leanne. I totally agree with you 100% on this one. 9/11 will never be just a date anymore, will it? I watched a thing on it today and it still just gets me. It feels like a punch in the stomach, even when you know what is coming. Every time.
And watching the footage from after the towers collapsed; it's so eerily quiet! It's so powerful and moving to watch. My heart aches all over again for them.

But the beautiful thing is, our country was phenomenol following those events. I hope that we can be that united again some day. On every regular day.
And kudos to you and all of the other wives and children of our brave firefighters. Thank you, too! Because without your support, we would be in a world of hurt. Thank Cory for me, would you?
I was going to do a 9/11 post, but after seeing yours- I ain't even going to try top this. You have such a way with words.
Probably because you always speak from your heart.

Tara said...

It was emotional to drive through the streets of small towns yesterday and see the firemen standing on the side of the street with their fire trucks, the American Flag waving proudly over the street and the signs on the truck reading 'Never forget - 9/11' It is so inspiring to see that, and makes a person eternally grateful to live in such a great country.