Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Be Nice.

As a general rule, I'm an optimist. I see the world how it should be, not necessarily how it is. I try to see the glass half full and am a big believer in the power of positive energy. The power of prayer. Faith in my God that all things will be taken care of.

Except for today. And part of yesterday. And the day before. I'm in a funk.

I thought I wouldn't blog about it...in order to keep my blog fresh and happy. But who am I kidding? What's fresh and happy all the time?

Yesterday I spent a couple hours raking the backyard and this morning I am watching the green disappear beneath the new leaves falling...down. I have a problem with fall. I know a lot of people find energy in the chilly weather and peace in the beauty of the season. So do I. But it's SO SHORT. It's like a week or two of beauty and then it all dies for the winter. And I detest winter. So despite the beauty and the fresh air, I have a hard time truly enjoying it.

All around me, I see chaos and negativity. We all know the economy is in major crisis. Except for grocery prices, nothing has really changed for me. The biggest financial gurus in the country (the world?) are exclaiming that this is this is the worst financial crisis since the great depression, and I believe them. Although on a daily basis, I refuse to go there. (Refer to paragraph 1). I'm young and healthy and willing to work hard, so I believe there is hope in my future. But all around me people keep talking about it and it's causes, and it's potential effects, and it's hard not to get get sucked into that.

Election 2008. Here's my new thought. When you're watching your favorite team play football on Sundays (another reason to love fall!) there's much anticipation. You don your jersey, make snacks, have friends over. One team or another may be up during the course of the game, causing anticipation and some anxiety for fans. And then, in about three hours' time, it's over. One team wins and one team loses. In this election, however, three hours equals about two years. Are you kidding me? Will someone win this stinkin' game so we can go on with our lives? I know all this time is well spent and important, but I'm SO SICK of watching the game. The fans are rude, the players have terrible sportsmanship, and I'm tired of the negative energy. Football is a terrible analogy. I know that this is an enormously important election and I'm ready for the country to be led by someone other than our current Commander-in-Chief. But seriously...is it November 4th yet?

This is the sign over my door. I put it there so that every time my boys and I leave the house it's a reminder. It feels like every time I turn on the news, this isn't important. And, to me, it's so important that I put it up right over my front door. So everything going on right now is wearing me down. For the past few days, I'm finding that as hard as I try, I can't refocus on the positive. So, for today, that is my mission. Find only things that make me laugh. Work on loving everyone around me. Pray for more kindness in the world. Live by the Golden Rule and this:

"...serve one another in love. The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."" [Galatians 5:13-14] Read the whole chapter here, it'll be worth your time!

So I'm off. I'm going to clean my kitchen, let Matty take my blood pressure (he's been begging for my blogging arm the entire time I've been writing this) and head out to rake the new leaves that have fallen. And try to remember that my life is amazing, and I have really nothing to complain about. Have a blessed day...be nice!

6 comments:

MindiJo said...

You know, I love this post. And totally agree with you. Why do people have to be so mean during election season? It's not only the candidates themselves. I was watching The View today and I had to shut it off. Because those women usually get along well. Not today. They were snippy at each other over politics. Let's all agree to disagree already!! Because there really is no right or wrong candidate for the country, it's all a matter of opinion.
I'm ready for the ugliness to end. Sure, support your candidate. But always remember what is even more important: respect the opinions and feelings of those around you.
BTW: If this is you not sounding happy, don't even worry. Even when you are frustrated, you sound a lot better than some people do at their best.

Leanne said...

TOTALLY! The View, radio talk show hosts, all the "panels" on the new stations, blech.

Thanks for your support; you're an amazing friend.

PS I found a card you sent me in 1998, I think. I'll be posting it soon. :)

Elizabeth Halt said...

oh man, I am so ready for the ugliness to be over. Some of the things I am seeing happen at rallies are seriously depressing me - and while I know it's only a small microcosm of humanity, and there is a fringe group on all sides, it scares me that people are so willing to show their hatred in public. Argh.

but I have to tell you - it is impossible for me to remain unhappy for long in this season. I LOVE fall, if you can't tell from my blog, LOL. Just looking out my window makes me happy.

I do like the idea of focusing only on what you can control (or your sphere of influence as Steven Covey calls it). If you're feeling down about something, do one small action that *you* can do, and then focus on something else. As an example, if you're worried about the economy, maybe balance your checkbook or put some money in savings or .. something that you *can* do and that affects the things that are under your control. It really does help ..

Anonymous said...

I'm ready for it to be done. And giggling that Matt just begging to take your blood pressure.
Peggy

Anonymous said...

Great post, Leanne. I thought the football analogy was very good, btw. It is certainly okay to not be positive all the time, but I beg you, in a world filled with negativity and bad news.. please, PLEASE keep your sunshiney, positive attitude!!!! At least 90%of the time. :) You are such a light to so many, and offer a huge reminder of all that we have to be thankful for... when news, t.v., etc say we're so bad off right now. Keep your lovely chin up, but feel free to vent, because even in your frustration, you do it beautifully. :) Love you!

Anonymous said...

p.s. that last one was from me. Cyndi. :) (just so you don't think there's an anonymous stalker out there loving you. giggle!)