Monday, October 13, 2008

What a great experience!

Photo: Jeff Wheeler, Star Tribune; Edits, Mine

Thanks to all of you for your well wishes. Thanks also for your support. You know, I don't have any real life friends who share my enthusiasm, so while I know you sometimes roll your eyes behind my back, I appreciate the smile you present to me. I really am passionate about my support of Barack Obama, and I appreciate you respecting that (again, at least to my face)...

Anyway, I had an amazing afternoon! I left for St. Paul at 2:00. I didn't get there until 3:00 because there was an accident at I-94 and 35W. Despite my agitation, I got there in plenty of time! Somehow I ended up behind the building, which was a ADA entrance. When I came around the front of the building, I saw the line went up Snelling. But a volunteer grabbed me, handed me a clipboard and told me to walk and write and I somehow avoided the line altogether. YAY! (Sorry for those of you I jumped in front of).

There were a couple thousand people there, I guess. I hung around the back of the auditorium hoping to get a spot on the "reserved" bleachers when those people didn't show up. Which is exactly what happened. It was a small venue, so I was probably 100 feet from the podium...close enough to appreciate M. Obama to the fullest...

She reaffirmed why I adore her. She's intelligent, beautiful, funny, and passionate. She's a great mom, and clearly a loving and dedicated wife. I feel privileged to have been in the same room as her. I stood next to two women who were skipping work to be there. They were worried that they would get on TV and be busted. I proudly admitted that it was my hubby playing hookie so I could be there and then gave an extra wave to the cameras (who were not pointed in our direction, I might add). Anyway, my new friends and I kept oohing over her speech. When it was over, they pushed me to go up and join the rope line. I have never done that, but tried to get near the end of it. I got within arm's reach, but didn't touch her. Shucks.

Definitely one of my top five experiences. Cross that off the "to-do" list.

Oh, and Andi...if you read my blog...good to see you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, sister! Gotta love your passion!! Glad you enjoyed yourself even though you have no one "real friend" wise to share your passion with. If nothing else, it makes me smile to hear the joy in your voice:) Love you-Amy

Anonymous said...

I'm with Amy. I am so happy you got to experience being there today. I don't deny that I don't share all of your opinions on politics, but I was just telling Davin how great it is that you have such a passion. Proud of you, sis. (:

~Laura

Elizabeth Halt said...

That is so awesome! I'm glad you were able to go!

I am growing more and more optimistic as November approaches. :-)

andy said...

Leanne,

It was an absolute delight to run into you at the Leonard Center. What a day-brightener (and not just because of the color of your coat)...to be followed-up but such a fantastic experience of hearing Amy Klobuchar and Michelle Obama speak. A wonderful afternoon...

Andy

Leanne said...

YAY - you are here! It was good to see you, too! We really have to get the girls together, huh?

MindiJo said...

Totally NOT rolling my eyes at you. Like I ever would roll my eyes about you. Wait... do you do that to me?
So glad that you were able to go and sounds like you had a streak of luck there!
That is you in the picture? You are looking good these days!!