Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Life's Lessons

Cory and I are cleaning out our storage area. I will be so happy when it's done. The fun part of the project is that I'm digging through a lot of stuff. Turns out I saved pretty much everything from the time I was 11 until I was 20. A lot of stuff. So I'll periodically share with you the things that I thought were worth saving years ago. Most of them I understand, but there are some real mysteries in those storage containers (like, really, why did I save the actual corsages from all the weddings I was in??). Anyway, here's a keeper. Someone wrote it down for me, but I have no idea who or where they took it from. So I'm sorry to not give proper credit:

Life's Lessons

After awhile you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning and company doesn't mean security,
And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts and presents aren't promises.
You begin to accept your defeats with your head up and your eyes open, with the grace of an adult, not the grief of a child.
You learn to build all your roads on today because tomorrow's grounds are too uncertain for plans.
After awhile you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So plant your own gardens and decorate your own soul - instead of wating for someone to bring you flowers.
You learn that you really can endure, and you really are strong, and you really do have worth.

5 comments:

MindiJo said...

I groaned when I started reading this poem. Someone I know, a very negative person, had a VERSION of this poem. It was really pessimistic. But I do like this version much better. Because it is true without being depressing. So I was relieved to see your version. Don't know why I felt the need to share that.

Leanne said...

Are you the one who gave it to me? It doesn't look like your handwriting. I think it might have been Sonja.

Megan said...

haha! Aaron and I just did the same thing yesterday! I too found I saved EVERYTHING from eleven to twenty. I had a kleenex from someones funeral. :P Needless to say, lots of it went in the garbage, but there are still a few things I wasn't able to part with yet. I kept asking myself if I'm really going to care about this when I am fifty?

Elizabeth Halt said...

I remember that quote. I think I had it written down somewhere when I was little because I liked it.

Leanne said...

Megan - that cracks me up! Kleenex from a funeral?! Sounds like something I'd find in one of my boxes!