Friday, November 21, 2008

You Can't be a Beacon

This song by Donna Fargo has spoken to me for many years; however, I hadn't listened to it in a long time prior to this week. I used the words "You can't be a beacon if your light don't shine!" when I was talking to a friend recently and remembered this song. The lyrics are:

You can't be a beacon if your light don't shine
You can't be a beacon if your light don't shine
There's a little light in all of us by God's design
But you can't be a beacon if your light don't shine.

How can you ask for truth when you do not truthful live?
How can you ask forgiveness when you don't forgive?
Now I don't mean to bring you down or speak to you unkind
But you can't be a beacon if your light don't shine

CHORUS

How can you ask a child to be honest and true
When he can only judge what's right by what he sees in you?
How can you offer vision yet walk around blind...
No, you can't be a beacon if your light don't shine.

CHORUS

May God's love surround you
May you find a brighter day
May He grant you the peace you seek in every way
God's light burns in each life...yours and mine
And you can be a beacon if you'll just let it shine!

Click here to see a video of this song on Youtube. I did not put together this compliation, but I think it's lovely. Do yourself a favor and check it out!

Wishing you a great weekend!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Halt said...

I like that song. It reminds me of a favorite quote:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of god. Your playing small doesn't serve the world.

There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone.

And, as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
- Marianne Williamson

Anonymous said...

I was thinking how you have always loved Donna Fargo. You should go on tour with her (or is she dead, I have no clue). Because remember "I'm the happiest girl in the whole USA?) Your fave. Always sang that thing.

Seriously, my word verification is
bumeism. I'm roaring about that too.