Monday, March 2, 2009

Aspiring Chef?

Cole helped me with dinner tonight. We made tostadas and it went really well! It's pretty hard to find things he's passionate about, so when I suggested a cooking class (thanks to Laura) he said, YES! I have to admit...it was pretty fun to do with him; I'll definitely be doing it more in the future.




I tried to tell him that real chefs wear an apron...he didn't buy it. Maybe if I buy him one of those coats. Yeah, he'd love that.
Rough recipe:
12 tostada shells
1 can refried beans
1 lb ground beef
Taco seasoning packet
Cheddar cheese
Toppings: salsa, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes
I brown the beef, and add taco seasoning according to the package.
Heat the refried beans.
Pop the tostadas on cookie sheets in the oven at 350 for 5 minutes to crisp them up.
Once they're cool enough to touch, top with refried beans, then meat, then sprinkle cheddar cheese.
Put back into the oven for five minutes or until cheese is melted.
Top with desired toppings...
ENJOY!
(PS I served ours with Rice-A-Roni Mexican rice)

4 comments:

Lorz said...

Cool dude! He looks like a natural! :)

Elizabeth Halt said...

very cool! He looks right at home.

I don't think I've ever had tostadas. Maybe I'll try this .. I was never a fan of refried beans but maybe they just need the right recipe.

Julie said...

How special! I'm glad you got to spend some time together doing something kind of different. Is he thinking he might want to cook more often? Tell him they look so yummy!

Anonymous said...

The cooking class idea sounds like fun!